Phantom Fall Fest tickets are only $29.99 on select dates when you buy now!
WEST MIFFLIN, PA – Peep! Peep! Everyone’s favorite Number 1 Blue Engine and the Island of Sodor come to life on Friday, July 27, 2018 with the grand opening of Thomas Town™. Located within Kennywood Park, one of the world’s most renowned family amusement parks, Thomas Town features five rides including a train ride with Thomas, a live stage show, themed play and entertainment areas, retail store and more. It will be the second-largest permanent Thomas & Friends™ attraction in North America. Set on a bluff overlooking the Monongahela River and the historic Edgar Thomson Steel Works in nearby Braddock, Thomas & Friends debuts a new home in Steel City. Thomas Town is one of the largest single-year additions in Kennywood’s 120-year history, adding five new family rides, plus retheming The Olde Kennywood Rail Road into a Thomas & Friends story. The area also includes an indoor play zone, Birthday Room, a retail store featuring a section to ‘Pick Your Own MINIS’ custom collection, and an entertainment show featuring Sir Topham Hatt, Percy, James, Emily and Gordon. All the attractions are placed in and around the existing footprint of the park’s train ride, which has operated at Kennywood with various themes since 1945.
“With 120 years of history, Kennywood is one of the most beloved amusement parks in the country and we are so excited to bring our latest Thomas & Friends attraction to Pittsburgh for families to enjoy for many years to come,” said Julie Freeland, Senior Director of Global Live Events & Attractions for Mattel. “It’s a great joy to welcome Thomas and his friends into the Kennywood family,” said Jerome Gibas, General Manager at Kennywood. “Guests have been eagerly contacting us for months, and we can’t wait to welcome them all into Thomas Town at Kennywood Park.”
The rides and attractions feature beloved characters such as Thomas, Diesel, Cranky the Crane, Harold the Helicopter and more favorites. Guests can visit familiar destinations around the Island of Sodor like Tidmouth Sheds and Knapford Station. Sir Topham Hatt, Controller of the Railway on the Island of Sodor, will be on site to greet and take photos with guests.
Specific attractions include:
• Journey with Thomas: Head to Kennywood Station and climb aboard for an unforgettable journey with the Number 1 Blue Engine! Guests of all ages can hop aboard a train ride with Thomas featuring wondrous views of the Monongahela River and the Edgar Thomson Steel Works, the oldest steel mill in the Steel City.
• Cranky’s Drop Tower: Strap in tight for a truly Cranky experience! Sodor’s strongest crane will lift you high above Thomas Town, and then drop you down!
• Harold’s Helicopter Tour: All set and ready for action! Kids can jump inside their own Harold Helicopter and pilot him up and down as they spin round and round.
• Flynn’s Fire Training: Junior firefighters shoot water to extinguish flames on this unique, interactive ride with Flynn.
• Diesel Drivers: Don’t forget the Diesels! Climb aboard Diesel, Iron Bert and other Diesel engines for a fun ride.
• Steel City Adventures Live Show at Tidmouth Sheds: Join Percy, James, Emily, Gordon, Sir Topham Hatt for story and song as they prepare for an important journey to Pittsburgh!
For a limited time, guests will also have the opportunity to watch the exciting 4-D adventure Thomas & Friends: Bubbling Boilers at the Kennywood 4-D Theater in celebration of Thomas Town’s opening. For more information and tickets to Thomas Town, visit the Thomas Town landing page.